The current demands, cycles and needs of the global distribution of products, as well as the growing activity of e-commerce operators, results in many millions of shipments, with the corresponding increase in derived waste. The ecological impact is more than considerable. European governements and institutions are using legislation to limit the comsuption of the most polluting materials. That is why the development of optimal packagins systems that fully contemplate the entire cycle becomes more important than ever, in order not only to reduce the environmental impact, but to achieve saving throughout the logistics chain.
Everyone has known for a long time the general rule of packaging by which cardboard and paper packaging are always the least harmfull to the environment and those with the highest environmental reputation among consumers. Starting from this base, we must have very clear ideas that will help us to reduce the ecological footprint of the packaging.
- All the attention in the choice of all the materials that will be used: consumers are increasingly aware and demand, the value of using recyclable and biodegradable packaging materials, which do not affect to the biological cycle. Closures are of fundamental importance because the person who opens their shipment manipulates and interact with them at the time of opening. The gummed paper tape, in addition to safe and resistant closure, acts as a transmitter of idea of respect for the environment that the consumer so much appreciates. A lot of attention is also given to the inks with which the shipping data and the slogans and brand messages are printed: water inks are the most appropiate and with the least impact on the environment.
- The packaging design is as important as the product itself. The packaging must be reduced to the minimum necessary for its safety and resistance: the quantities of packaging material must be exact, neither more, nor less. Excess packaging always damages the brand image. The gummed paper tape for the cardboard closure is the most suitable, it saves a lot of material because it is always measured to the millimeter, by means of appropiate applicators.
- If it's possible, we must adjust the packaging design so that it is not necessary to use filler material, it will always be preferible. But, when necessary, it is essential that these materials are also biodegradable. Many of our clients use kraft paper for this purpose, with excellent results. In some cases, they also reuse scraps and cuttings of cardboard or paper for this purpose, giving them new use and utility, and replacing the bubble wrap. This idea also influences the shopping experience and customer perception and improves the presentation.
- Keep in mind that lighter packaging means greater transport efficiency: lighter loads, fewer trucks or railcars, reduced emissions and shipping cost… on summary, transport optimization.
- It is necesssary to avoid the use of plastic, not only as the main packaging material, but also in windows, reinforcements, corners and other plastic accessories in packaging. The recycling process is simplified and improved. Likewise, water pressure sensitive adhesives, specifically gummed paper, are always much easier to recycle, since their materials are biodegradable and certified by the corresponding quality seals.
Once again we must insist on the general principle of application of the 4R: reduce, reuse, recycle, recover… And if, as more and more manufacturers and distributors in the world, you are already using cardboard for your packaging, close your cardboard boxes with gummed paper will allow you to reduce the environmental impact and your costumers will perceive it.