With the developement of ecommerce, the packaging is no longer just the simple wrapping or tooling that protect the merchandise to make possible ist delivery in perfect conditions; it is also the first tangible impact that reaches the buyer at the culminating moment of the online purchase: the instant of the shipment reception.
This firs real contact that the e-shopper experiences with the package that protects the product that he has bought and expected is key. It triggers ans experience -purchase experience, buying experience-, an impression composed of sensations and emotions that will come to memory; and that will determinate whether or not repeat.
Studies have revealed how the majority of online customer think that the packaging shows how much a brand cares about them, al also that the buyer has higher expectations when buying online. The most updated researchs shows how consumer demands do not stop evolving: the respect of the environment is already a constant in the final valuation of a shipment reception. The experience of the consequences of climate change, the impact and deterioration that human activities cause in natural systems, determine the purchase decission. The last Christmas campaign 2019 has moved 27 million units -45.000 packages/day-, reaching 1.000.000 during the most intense days. Online customers know that each purchase and each shipment has effects on the planet.
- 26% of people buying ecommerce products make the purchase decission considering the kind of packaging used for shipping.
- 58.4% of buyers -mostly millennials- of a product have seen an unboxing video before. 43,33% shared photos and videos of the unpacking proccess of a product on social networks. Unboxing has already become a key component of the ecommerce experience.
- A majority of 80% of ecommerce buyers prefer that different products in the same order are packed in a single and unique parcel.
- 16.8% of respondents consider there is an excess of packaging or it’s too large for the products packed. And only 15.2% approved the packaging materials received as recyclable/sustainable, environmentally friendly.
- 73% want their order volume of packaging to be minimized.
- 57% wish to be able to choose the type of packaging of the product bought.
- 73% of e-shopper people preffer carboard and paper packing material. There is a clear increasing preference for the reduction of plastic materials in the packaging.
- Noteworthy is the fact that 7 of 10 consumers separate materials from the packaging which they received their ecommerce purchases for proper recycling. 18% keep them at home for reuse.
- The consumer prefers brands that make recycling separation easier; but only half of them believe that it’s now easy.
- The eco-packaging conceptor ecological packaging is strong; in according with current legislation, it also means a saving cost for companies that are free of payment of recycling fees in their ecommerce shipments.
Ressistance, sfety, respect for Evironment are guaranteed using gummed paper as a natural ecommerce seal and perfect for cardboard boxes. The packaging is already the most powerful marketing tool when we talk about ecommerce: it persist in memory of the purchase and reveals the brand's commitment to the e-shopper customer, to the social context and to Environment.
In depht understanding of the needs, behaviors, desires and expectations of the consumer online is more necessary than ever, as well the contribution in the solutions to problems facing the world.